Monday, June 18, 2012

Rachel's Challenge

Tomorrow I leave for Plano, TX with fellow teachers throughout the district, for a conference.  I'm super nervous, but I know it will be fun in the end!  I do this every time.  A bit of social anxiety and then it turns out to be just fine.  What I'm most nervous about is that after the conference, we are supposed to present what we learned to the rest of the district.  What?!  I'm hoping others in the group with be amped about speaking in front of hundreds of colleagues.  I'll let them know that I'm really good with technology and would be more than willing to get a presentation together.  That sounds fair!

I am super excited about the actual conference though!!!

At the beginning of this past school year, we had a professional development day where a speaker came to talk to us about 'Rachel's Challenge'.  I did not have any prior knowledge as to what it would be about.  Frankly, I was more worried about getting my classroom ready for Meet the Teacher Day.
I quickly set that all aside when the presenter introduced himself.  Darrell Scott is the father of Rachel Scott.  Rachel was the first student killed at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999.  Darrell went on to tell us that Rachel was a fantastic writer with a love for everyone.  She wanted there to be this 'chain reaction' through acts of kindness to deter from bullying.  Quotes from her journals and papers submitted in class, show how much passion she had for others no matter the circumstances.  Darrell and his son, Craig, team up with other members to tell Rachel's story throughout the nation.  They speak to teachers and students about what they can do to start a 'Chain Reaction'.
http://www.rachelschallenge.org/


Our district quickly took this on and we encouraged acts of kindness daily.  Throughout the district, we made paper chains representing acts of kindness we saw or experienced.  Each link on the chain had a description of the act of kindness.  By May, our chain reached all the way around our classroom!

Our town has a parade in May.  Our district asked that every school bring their chains to the parade to show how much of an impact Rachel's Challenge made on our district this school year.  Here are some of the chains from our school.





I cannot wait to hear from numerous speakers about Rachel's Challenge this week.  I want to find more ways to help students make positive choices by starting a chain reaction of kindness and compassion...not only at school but in their daily lives.  I want to make good citizens for our community and our country.  


No comments:

Post a Comment